Wednesday, August 29, 2018

PB1A on Petfinder Listings

For project builder 1A, I chose Petfinder listings as my textual genre. I'm going to focus on, both, the "about" section and the "meet" section. The "about" section gives background information of the dog while the "meet" section introduces the dogs personality. I'm going to use Jake as my first example, Gentle Bear as my second example, and Ben as my third example. 

As I read through each example, a few conventions immediately pop out at me. First, under the "about" section I see characteristics, age, gender, size, color, coat length, health, name, the location of the animal, breed, and compatibility with other animals. However, if I look at the "meet" section, I see that I need to dig in deeper to find out more conventions. After analyzing all three examples I concluded that some conventions are as follows: how the dog was brought to the shelter/ foster, specific toys he plays with, his temper, if he is crate trained, his playing habits, whether or not he is house trained, the type of food he eats, if he needs daily medical attention, where a potential candidate can find an application, the adoption fee, if he is trained to walk on a leash, how he is in the car, and if he knows any commands. 

The purpose of each and every single Petfinder listing is to get the animal adopted. Whether it be a dog, cat, sheep, pig, llama, horse, or even a hamster, each listing is written so that the animals are adopted into forever homes with endless love. In terms of who the intended audience is, it varies for each listing. Obviously for a dog listing the intended audience would be an individual looking to adopt a dog. However, the audience becomes narrowed down while the potential adopter reads an animals "about" and "meet" sections. For example, if a dog is not good with children then the audience narrows down to an individual, in a home with no children, looking to adopt a dog. This trend continues based on the conventions of each listing. The Tone of each Petfinder listing varies depending on many factors. The main tone of most listings starts off enthusiastically and with a lot of hope. This is because the writer of the listing is trying their best to write with excitement to get the dog adopted as quickly as possible. At times, it can change to be more informative so the reader knows that an animal may not be house trained or possibly not good with other animals. The style of all listings are mainly laid back with simple language and sentence structures. Imagery is used to describe the dog and what he enjoys doing most. Finally, the context as to why Petfinder exists is because the overpopulation of animals is leaving many dogs and cats, and even farm animals, homeless and uncared for. This is occasionally found in the United States, however; mainly in other parts of the world such as Europe, Asia, and South America. Petfinder exists to give as many animals as possible a fighting chance. Essentially, all the conventions that I have listed above are what make Petfinder listings, Petfinder listings. The only I would add is the pictures of the animals, and the layout of each listing. The colors are vibrant and inviting providing an exciting feel for the individual looking to adopt. The pictures also provide the feeling that when someone looks at that animal they can think to themselves "I can see myself with this dog in the future."

6 comments:

  1. Great Job on this overall! I really like how you explained everything clearly so the reader knows exactly what your doing. Also I like how you were clear on the sections you were doing. I really like the topic because I'm a big animal person. I was clearly able to understand the differences you were describing such as like about the dog or the food he/she eats. Good Job again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Job! I really loved how you were thorough throughout your whole Project Builder 1A .I actually used your Project Builder 1A as a template as I was writing mine. Although I am not a big animal fan I liked how you made your readers aware of the situation going on today. Getting an animal adopted. While reading this you gave me a clear image in my head of what you were explaining. Great job! Love how you presented and explained your three examples vividly as well as provided evidence. Once again loved your writing & hope many animals get adopted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall great job on dissecting your genres rhetorical features and conventions. There were many things that I liked about your writing. One of which is that you clearly explained each rhetorical feature in context. I also loved how you pointed out the things that stood out to you in the examples that you chose. Another thing that I liked was how you listed goals in your introduction paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KATE, Great job I can really see your passion in talking about the animals. You're very clear in what you're trying to get across to the audience. I enjoyed reading it your examples you used were very clear and provided evidence to back it up. Made me almost want to adopt a animal myself. Your style, imagery, and contexts were on point. once again it was a great paper. Can't wait to read more on the way. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a really job with the topic and I clearly understood what you were aiming to say and I can tell the love you have for animals as was said and I liked how you picked a topic that you were really passionate about. I also liked the examples you chose because I was able to understand what you were trying to say. This also my favorite because I loveee animal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kate, this is really awesome! It is by far one of the most in depth articles i have read yet! you take your time to make sure that whoever might be reading this article is aware of key terms, because they're essential in your point. pet-finder is so interesting! i love animals myself and can tell how passionate you are about them. your opening paragraph was great because it confronted your topic and explained your examples from the beginning. love it.

    ReplyDelete

PB3A

Part One: (Reflection) I never really thought about narrowing my research question down to a single breed, only because you would never go...