Thursday, November 8, 2018

PB3A

Part One: (Reflection)
I never really thought about narrowing my research question down to a single breed, only because you would never go to a shelter and find a single breed there. However, many of my classmates suggested that I narrow my research question down. If I were to do that I would narrow it down to maybe a specific breed, age range, or gender. another way I was thinking of narrowing down my research question was by adding in how the adoptability of a dog changes from the way exercise and calm interactions alter the behavior of dogs in shelters. I thought that was something else I could look at, but I was unsure if maybe I was getting too specific there. In terms of my presentation, my classmates gave me feedback on how I shouldn't have read directly off the screen in some cases. Another point someone made was that I was talking too fast and I think that ties into how I spent too much time on certain parts of the powerpoint. I went too into detail for some parts and I should've realized that and sped up the process a little, which would've helped me to manage my time and speak at a more clear pace. I like where my research question stands and I think that if I narrow it down to one breed it would be too specific to the point where I wouldn't be able to find scholarly articles relating to the topic. On the other hand, I liked my idea of adding how the behavior of dogs in shelters changes their 'adoptability features'.

Part Two: (Refined research Question)
How do calm interactions and exercise alter the behavior of dogs in shelters, thus effecting their chances of being adopted?

Part Three: (Possible Scholarly Articles for Annotated Bibliography)
Key Words→ 
Environmental enrichment + Olfactory stimulation + Dog welfare + Dog behavior
Adoption + Canis familiaris Relinquishment + Shelter + Training
Dog + Canine + Animal welfare Animal behavior + Human-animal relationships
Shelter dogs + Human-animal interaction + Petting + Behavior + Cardiac response + Well-being
Dog + Human contact + Multivariate permutation test + Shelter + Social enrichment + Welfare
Shelter + Dog + Overpopulation + Behavior Adoption
Shelter + Dog + Overpopulation Training + Adoption
Behavior + dog + Enrichment + Exercise Learning
Dogs + Enrichment + Housing + Welfare
Behavior problems + Dog + rescue shelters Reliability
Dogs Stress + Pheromones + Behavior Separation + Kennels

References (APA)

Binks, J., Taylor, S., Wills, A. and Montrose, V. (2018). The behavioural effects of olfactory stimulation on dogs at a rescue shelter. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 202, pp.69-76.
Luescher, A. and Tyson Medlock, R. (2009). The effects of training and environmental alterations on adoption success of shelter dogs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 117(1-2), pp.63-68.
Marston, L. and Bennett, P. (2003). Reforging the bond—towards successful canine adoption. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 83(3), pp.227-245.
McGowan, R., Bolte, C., Barnett, H., Perez-Camargo, G. and Martin, F. (2018). Can you spare 15 min? The measurable positive impact of a 15-min petting session on shelter dog well-being. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 203, pp.42-54.
Normando, S., Corain, L., Salvadoretti, M., Meers, L. and Valsecchi, P. (2009). Effects of an Enhanced Human Interaction Program on shelter dogs’ behaviour analysed using a novel nonparametric test. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 116(2-4), pp.211-219.
Protopopova, A. and Wynne, C. (2014). Adopter-dog interactions at the shelter: Behavioral and contextual predictors of adoption. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 157, pp.109-116.
Protopopova, A., Gilmour, A., Weiss, R., Shen, J. and Wynne, C. (2012). The effects of social training and other factors on adoption success of shelter dogs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 142(1-2), pp.61-68.
Protopopova, A., Hauser, H., Goldman, K. and Wynne, C. (2018). The effects of exercise and calm interactions on in-kennel behavior of shelter dogs. Behavioural Processes, 146, pp.54-60.
Schipper, L., Vinke, C., Schilder, M. and Spruijt, B. (2008). The effect of feeding enrichment toys on the behaviour of kennelled dogs (Canis familiaris). Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 114(1-2), pp.182-195.
Stephen, J. and Ledger, R. (2007). Relinquishing dog owners’ ability to predict behavioural problems in shelter dogs post adoption. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 107(1-2), pp.88-99.
Tod, E., Brander, D. and Waran, N. (2005). Efficacy of dog appeasing pheromone in reducing stress and fear related behaviour in shelter dogs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 93(3-4), pp.295-308.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PB3A

Part One: (Reflection) I never really thought about narrowing my research question down to a single breed, only because you would never go...