Monday, September 3, 2018

PB1B on Genre Generators

After some time of experimenting with each generator, I finally decided which genre I wanted to fully discover. The first genre came out to be of an essay on deconstructing web services. Since I would never write an essay like this, nor know where to begin on one, I decided to get a head start and list some conventions that I thought would be included in this essay. First, I had a notion that there would be a title, introduction, body paragraph, and conclusion. There might even be a chart of some sort at any point in the essay. After doing a full walkthrough, I noticed more conventions in the essay that I never would've thought of if I didn't look through it carefully. For example, the essay contained an abstract, references, and some sort of an image to help the reader further understand the topic being explained. To take my observations a step further, the body paragraph was broken down into, what seemed like, smaller sub-conventions. Some sub-conventions like this can be named by the topic sentences or, in this case, by the bold font titles before each paragraph. Some of the names of the sub-conventions for this essay were called signed epistemologies, symbiotic modalities, homogeneous models, methodology, and wearable symmetries.
     For my second genre generator, I decided to use memes. I already know what there is to know about the conventions of memes, but I never completely thought about it as anything other than something to laugh at. So, looking at memes for an english class project opened my eyes to a whole different meaning of memes that I've never realized before. I know one convention of a meme is that it is a colorful image usually focused in on one person who is making a specific facial expression. A second convention is that the text is always the same font: white capitalized letters outlined in black. Another one is that the statement attached to the picture usually connects to the picture in order to create a reaction of laughter from the audience. A convention to add on to that, would be that the statement of the meme should relate to the majority of the world so that the audience is as big as it can be.
     The last genre from a generator that I found was names. Now, whether you believe it or not, there can be many conventions of a name generator; even with sub-conventions! After playing around with this new generator for a little bit, I listed some conventions off the top of my head that I can remember; business names, alliterative names, hand-picked names, and even short names. There could be sub-conventions for each of these conventions that are specific to each convention. For example, for short names, some conventions could be three letter names, four letter names, five letter names and so on. Another one could be if the name is female or male, or what the short name is for. It could be for a baby, a pet, maybe a boat, or even a restaurant. 
     To some people, the idea of genres comes easily to them with immediate understanding. For others, like me, it can be a bit confusing at first; however, thinking about whats happening in these generator websites helps to understand this concept a little more. So, a person has this generator website that specifies with a certain topic. No matter how many different words come out of that generator, they still fall under the category of that generators topic; but with it's own unique twist. Just searching about different generators online and experimenting with them helps to clear the overall understanding of genres before even doing some thorough research. 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Kate, I loved how you explained everything into detail. Your writing was very interesting and grasped my attention in many ways. In all of your conventions you also listed many examples that back everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KATE WRIGHT, I think your blog was very well written, and it had a very nice format. I think making it a little more reader friendly, maybe throw a quote or a picture in there to keep the reader focused on finishing the rest of it. On another note it was very well written keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog post becuase you keep them casual but also jam packed with information. Your wording theoughout the post was exceptional. I loved how you brainstormed first then looked up the actual conventions. This shows that you put a lot of thought into your research. One of the things that really stood out to me was your organization of the post. This organization helped keep me engaged in the reading and made me want to keep reading. I also loved the additional topic you chose. I would of never expected this and it was bery creative. One thing i did miss was images to go along with what you were talking about. Other than that great job. I always love reading your work.

    ReplyDelete

PB3A

Part One: (Reflection) I never really thought about narrowing my research question down to a single breed, only because you would never go...